Pseudonyms ONLY!

If you are going to post comments on this page, please do not use your real name, whole or in part. I do not care who you are, I care only what you have to say. If you know MY real name, or the real name of any of the other commentors, respect our privacy and refer to them only by their pseudonyms. I do not moderate comments, and will not unless absolutely necessary.

Lizard

Lizard
I Am Lizard, Who The Hell Are You?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Drugs

When I was 6, I was prescribed Gyrocaps for asthma. I discovered if I took them, I could stay up all night reading and not fall asleep until school the next day, which I thought was SO cool.

When I was 10, my mother took me to my first concert - Three Dog Night (and now my age shows) and at that concert she (undoubtedly fucked up beyond all reason and sense) passed me my first joint. It was love at first inhale. It sent me to a nice world filled with soft sounds, pleasant fragrances and comfortable surroundings.

When I was 11, I took up smoking. Marlboros. the first day I smoked, I smoked four packs. I loved it. It smelled good, it tasted good, it felt good, I always had something to do. At 11, my hormones were already boiling out my ears, cigarettes gave me something to do to calm me and work off the nervous energy.

When I was twelve, I discovered the Zombie. The Zombie is about three shots from whatever bottles happen to be open, mixed together and rapid-fire guzzled at lunch at school. My mother was a heavy drinker, she always had about five bottles open, it took her two years to notice they were emptying too fast.

See, the thing is, I like drugs. I have been shovelling heavy-duty pharmaceuticals into my blood stream since I discovered Nodoz in high school.

Drugs keep me alive, and I mean that literally. The asthma meds keep me breathing, the hypertension meds keep my brain from exploding (I was told at the e/r that if my bp is not controlled soon, I will have a stroke within 5 years).

When I had cluster headaches, I took opiates to survive the pain, and on several occasions was suicidal even with the painkillers, so they very literally saved my life. I got dependant on them, went to detox, but since they never managed to fix the headches, as soon as I was out of detox, I was back on pain meds, and starting to ramp up dosage again. Every doctor was convinced I was just a junkie lying about headaches to get high. But then, the headaches stopped, and surprise, surprise! I was off pain meds in less than two weeks. Now I am on them when I need them without a problem of escalating dosages or tolerance. Was I addicted? Yes. Was it terrible? Less terrible than the pain would have been without the meds. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. If the cluster headaches ever recur, you can bet your ass I'll do the same thing over again, and just hope that either they go away again, or I die, before I have to do the detox shit again with cluster headaches.

A bit on detox: Shut the fuck up, you sanctimonious bastards. I am NOT going to go sit with a bunch of neuvo-born-again morons gripping coffee mugs the size of small tanker-trucks, chain-smoking camel unfiltered extra-tar, extra-nicotine cigarettes and telling me how I am powerless in the face of my addiction. I was powerless in the face of my pain. My addiction actually EMPOWERED me to take some small bit of control from a circumstance that was rapidly spinning out of control. In so doing, I escaped the tortures of the damned with my family intact and my extended support structure still taking my calls. Because of Oxycodone and Phentanyl (the lollipops rock), I never succumbed to the desperation I felt.

Anyway, back to drugs. As you can probably tell, I like them. Especially the two classes of drugs that have been used for thousands of years in shamanic contexts, the hallucinogens and the dissociatives. I use these to do what is sometimes called astral projection, sometimes called Shamanic Journeying (one of my teachers called it "goin' and lookin' " and another called it spiritwalking). I don't use drugs to ENHANCE this experience, (altho that is, admittedly, why I started experimenting with them) but rather to, as many relaxants and intoxicants do, put some distance between the seer and the seen.

I call these drugs Sacrements, because as I understand the concept, a sacrement is something that sanctifies one, or makes one pure or holy. In short, it is a thing you use to become closer to the divine, or the truth, or the spark, or whatever you believe in. Also among my Sacrements are non-drug items. Sex, kinky sex (it is a different deal entirely), long, difficult conversations with loved ones, teaching, learning, fighting, dehydration-fasting-sweating (sweat lodge, PJ, circlespinning) and composing poetry.

I like drugs. Marijuana should be legal for all of you folks (because of my medical condition, it is already legal for me (sorta)), pain medicatin should be easy to get and easy to increase. Withdrawal hurts like hell for three or four days, but it is no worse than a really bad flu. Hallucinogens should be legal to create possess and cultivate (and I am tempted to say that everybody should try mushrooms once, but I have met people that couldnt deal)

Questions about this stuff are welcome.
Lizard

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"drugs are bad"-Mr. Mackey

ok detox has no success rate with opiates. it's like 99% failure rate or something like that. so whoever tells you to go to detox is stupid!!!

the whole powerlessness (crap) comes from AA I'm sure you already know that....the downside to that is that everyone blames everything on the alcohol/drugs. "I was bad because alcohol controled me"....yeah...

Anonymous said...

only people who should not do mushrooms and pot is those who have a psychotic genetic risk in their family (their brother/mom/dad is schizophrenic) unless they want to end up in XYZ hospital and on Haldol!

Lizard said...

NOBODY has any success rate with opiates. I can't figure out why opiates are a problem. Let them HAVE their opiates. To those of you who are not and have never be4en junkies, let me lay it out for you:

Junkies don't get high. They USED to get high, way back when they were first using, and if they inject, they still get a momentary buzz (of incredible depth) but that's it. The rest of the time, they are just like normal. Give them their opiates, and they will LEAVE YOU ALONE. ALL the societal problems caused by opiates are caused by their illegality, NOT by their effect on the user. If they could buy a fix at the drug store for a reasonable price, that's what they will do.

Now, the drugs themselves will fuck up your life if you let them, no question. But so will video games, gambling and christianity, and THEY aren't illegal!

I am completely responsible for everything I did while under the influence of narcotics (which was mostly lots and lots of sleeping). If I choose to inhale, smoke, inject, insufflate, eat, drink, or bathe in substances that later cause me to go on a puppy-killing rampage, I am still responsible for what I do.

So all you drunk fucks out there who think opiate addicts are useless druggie wastoids, BUY A FUCKING MIRROR.

Lizard said...

Sorry, Meri, I just sort of went off. My experience with the detox hypocrisy is still too new for me to even talk about it without winding up giving long, boring orations about how bad the available options are for people with serious pain.

Once they got me into the detox system, my previous condition (the one that I was taking opiates to cope with) was not only completely ignored, but was actually considered fraudulent BECAUSE I was in Detox. It did not matter that I only got opiates from my doctor, it didn't matter that the doctors had diagnosed me with one of the most painful conditions known to western medicine (cluster headaches) and it didn't matter that I had never sold, traded or otherwise misused my perscriptions. I was treated like a criminal as the default state of being. Now, that may be explained by frequency: almost everybody who goes through the detox system IS a criminal. I was an exception.

But shouldn't the default state be NONJ criminal? These people are addicts, they have enough problems without the medical staff treating them like murderers and rapists. Shouldnt one of the first steps in encouraging an addict to quit be BUILDING their self-esteem, rather than just reinforcing the loser mentality they came in with? You are powerless before your addiction? FUCK that! I would be telling them that they are in a fight with a no-brain chemical and they will KICK it's ass. Whine and moan to a room full of junkies about how horrible it is being a junkie? That is supposed to HELP? "Here are a room full of people who have been where you are" they say. What they fail to mention is that most of the people in the room are STILL using and haven't got a frigging CLUE how to beat the habit, except by replacing it with coffee and nicotine, because they happen to be legal...... Shit, seems like I have gone off again... Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog, Meri.

Anonymous said...

Give yourself over to God!!! Then you will be saved from your addiction! He will change your brain with his magic hands. LOL

Supposedly, methadone/suboxone are successful treatments..but you can't go off them to maintain being sober, or at least few can off them. not much data out there....personally, I saw it help some, while others kept on using...depends on the person I guess.

I've met some that were never criminals......but ended up that way after their doctor prescribed them and they were cut off...so it was more related to addictive behaviors rather than being sociopaths or something...but of course you will find those types as well....