Pseudonyms ONLY!

If you are going to post comments on this page, please do not use your real name, whole or in part. I do not care who you are, I care only what you have to say. If you know MY real name, or the real name of any of the other commentors, respect our privacy and refer to them only by their pseudonyms. I do not moderate comments, and will not unless absolutely necessary.

Lizard

Lizard
I Am Lizard, Who The Hell Are You?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"it"

Until my thirties, I wondered when "it" would happen
and I lived in almost constant terror of "it".
The fear ruled everything.
"Don't go outside! the pollen will bring "it" on"
"Don't run to hard, you know 'it' is waiting"

My breath would catch
and the rattling sound in my lungs
taunted me mercilessly
with the specter of "it".

"It". The Last Attack,
The Big One.
Death. By asphyxiation.
The picture was clear, and constant.
Gasping, the breath would not come,
I would watch as the skin under my fingernails
turns from pink to dusky blue
and all would fade
as my brain starved for oxygen
and my system shut down.

In my thirties I had come to terms with it
thinking maybe what I had always been certain of,
could be avoided.
Maybe I would die,
and, for the first time, I thought,
maybe I wouldn't.

Then I had a heart attack, and the old terror is back.
A single twinge of pain in the chest,
and I am staring, again, at "it"
and the only thing I can think to tell myself
is that this "it" is much quicker than the old "it".
Small consolation.

No comments: