Pseudonyms ONLY!

If you are going to post comments on this page, please do not use your real name, whole or in part. I do not care who you are, I care only what you have to say. If you know MY real name, or the real name of any of the other commentors, respect our privacy and refer to them only by their pseudonyms. I do not moderate comments, and will not unless absolutely necessary.

Lizard

Lizard
I Am Lizard, Who The Hell Are You?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I have a moral question, and I really want answers.

Okay, here is the situation. I am asleep in the daytime (as usual) and my doorbell rings. It is, say, noonish. It is a sunday. At my door is a twentysomething woman and her son, who is about 8. They are well dressed, and holding copies of some colorful christian religious propaganda. I am grumpy and annoyed. If the woman had been alone, I would have either slammed the door, or given her one of a number of verbally abusive but clever lines that I keep in the back of my head for such intrusions, but the kid's presence alters the tableau a bit.

What I want to do is ignore the woman completely, kneel down, and say to the child, in a very pleasant voice "Hi. The only difference between Jesus Christ and the Easter Bunny is that your mommy thinks one of them is real." and then stand up, and smile, and hold out my hand for the mother to shake.

Am I justified in doing that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to say no. I mean, would you want some religious wacko bending down to talk to your kid and tell him that Jesus is real and that you're wrong?

Maybe if the kid were a teenager it would be all right - they're old enough to start forming opinions that don't jibe with their parents.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! Okay. No. It wouldn't have been right to do and you didn't. I'm impressed by the wit and laughed my ass off as it visually played out in my head. "...things one of 'em is real!" LOL!

Anonymous said...

although humorous, I would have to say, well yes. The simple fact that he is a child is non sequitur. Think of Anon one's comment " would you want some religrious wacko bending down to talk to your kid..." Of COURSE Lizard would want this. Do you really know this man? think of the (i loosly use the term ) "conversation" that would follow. By the end (if there were one) of this "conversation" he would have the "wacko" either A: Doubting the existance of the very higher power that has so blindly consumed this persons life (much the way that hate drives a member of the KKK), or B: shaking like a gelatinous blob unable to utter there own name much less pester poor innocent "insert Lizards childs name here, removed per the rules of this forum". The simple fact of the matter is that I am surprised that he showed the restraint at the opportunity to poke in the eye the very confomancy that he so outwardly and vehemently ridicules.

Respectfully submitted by your freindly neighborhood TSG.